Japan is a surprising combination of peace and chaos, old and new and has just the right amount of quirkiness to make it an addicting place to visit that will have you coming back for more!
Did we like Japan?
Short answer: YES!
Long answer: We’ll give you a little background about our first visit and we’ll share with you in this article what we want to see next time we travel to Japan. Come along on our trip through Japan and watch our crazy week in Japan.
Best Times of Year to Visit Japan
If you’re considering a trip to Japan, you’re probably wondering what time of year is best to visit. The wonderful thing is every season is a great time to visit Japan, and you will have a completely unique experience.
In short, there truly is no bad time to visit Japan. Each season boasts different highlights such as the cherry blossoms blooming in the springtime, Mt Fuji opens for climbing in the summer, the leaves changing colors in the fall and of course ski season in the winter.
Before you book a trip to Japan in the spring, know this…
Spring is considered by many as a great time to visit Japan for its comfortable temperatures, cherry blossoms and little chance of rain.
One thing you should be aware of is the so-called “Golden Week“ which falls in the springtime and is made up of 4 national holidays which fall into a 7-day span. This means many Japanese people will also be traveling around the country and accommodation and tours are often booked far in advance.
Golden Week in Japan Dates
- 2018: April 28 – May 6
- 2019: April 27 – May 12 (Holidays are more spread out)
Do I need Travel Insurance for Japan?
While it’s not required to enter the country, we always recommend purchasing travel insurance before any trip. It is a small price to pay for the peace of mind you’ll have knowing you will be covered in case of an emergency or if anything is stolen.
World Nomads offers arguably the best, most comprehensive coverage out there. We also have used Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance and love their reasonable rates and easy to work with customer service.
This article walks you through everything you need to know about choosing the best travel insurance policy for your specific needs.
Fun Facts about Japan
These facts will be good conversation starters with other travelers or even locals! So break that ice and let them in on some fun facts about Japan!
- Japan has an average of 1,500 earthquakes each year!
- 6,852 islands make up the country of Japan.
- There are more than 200 volcanoes in Japan.
- Vending machines are super popular in Japan — there are more than 5.5 million of them around the country and they dispense everything from snacks to fresh eggs to toilet paper. (And some weirder stuff that a quick Google search that reveal to you.)
- The literacy rate in Japan is nearly 100%. We need them to teach the rest of us their ways!
- The first geishas were men. (The word “geisha” means person of the arts.)
Let us know if you knew the reasons to visit Japan or if you were surprised with this list.